Monday, April 27, 2009

HDB Kampong

I am a part-time kampong kid. During school holidays, I would go stay with my grandma who lives in a kampong. It's exciting because I get to hang out with my cousins, feed the chickens and collect eggs, run wild and forget about time.

WIth the development of Singapore, they had to be relocated to a HDB flat. That's where/how the younger generation grew up nowadays.

We do have a mini kampong in front of our apartment where the kids play. Our immediate neighbour has 2 girls who are 1/2 year older than J and M respectively. Their cousin comes to their house after her class. Thus in the evening, we would let the kids have some fun by playing with bubbles. I would take out the bubble-making machines and gather them for about 1/2 hour of play before they head off to the showers.

As M is now walking steadily, he got to join the group today and he was very excited and was running about. At least a part of the kampong spirit lives in in the laughters of these children.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel, M is really cute:) I love the kampong spirit...

motherhen said...

Hi Anonymous,

Tks for your compliment (for M).

Ya, M never fail to make me happy.

I miss the kampong days too and we are glad that we have "kampong" neighbour too.

Anonymous said...

hi Mel..i do miss our kampung days..remember how we use to have great times? come rambutan season, someone will surely pluck those rambutans down with those long stick, playing badminton, 'police n thief' also not to forget those kampung spirits ... neighbours.... i really do miss our younger kampung days..if only times can go back just for a minute.....

Anonymous said...

oops, sry, forgetting to leave my identity...

Jen (kampung gal..hahaha)

motherhen said...

Jen....do you rem the parrot "Hosen"? I still think of him from time to time.

Anonymous said...

yeah...tat 'Hossen' named after tat wonderful guy (actually). But it is a pity no one 'brought him' along after resettlement.

Anonymous said...

No, we brought Hosen along, though we didn't bring "Andrew the Pigeon" along. Hosen flew out the kitchen window 2 times. 1st time we managed to find him but not the 2nd time. We cried and cried after that.

Anonymous said...

erm...did we had 'Andrew the Pigeon'?? which 1? Don't seemed to recall on that. Ohh..who were the 'we' cried & cried when 'Hossen' flew away the 2nd time without finding his way back?