Friday, January 21, 2011

The joy of simplicity

Recently, J has learnt to appreciate "you tiao". He likes the crispy and chewy texture of the dough.

Whenever I eat "you tiao", I am reminded of Cantonese congee. The thick creamy texture of porridge can be paired with any ingredients that you like. It reminds me of the many winter seasons spent in Hong Kong which is almost like my 2nd home for the past years. Eating it during the cold season brings comfort to the tummy and heart.

Tks to J, I have a sudden craving for congee and attempt to cook it. A quick call to my colleague in Hk to check on the receipe. I decide to upgrade it by adding dried scallop to it. Using my wonderous thermal cooker, I left it to cook overnight and woke up in the morning with a bowl of yummy congee. Since we don't have "you tiao", I improvised with fried wanton skin which also has the crisy texture. I made my congee with marinated sliced beef and sat down to enjoy it.

幸福是如此简单

No comments: