Friday, January 7, 2011

1st day of school 2011

After 6 tormeting-for-me weeks of national school holidays, it is finally time (hurray!!) for J to return to school. It will also be M's 1st day in Pre-Nursery. And as usual, I am all jittery.

As they are in the 2nd session, the boys woke up as per their usual schedule and took their time to have their breakfast and bath. When M was done with his bath and walked out to the living room in his school uniform, J exclaimed "Didi, how come you look like me?!".

Before leaving the house to wait for the school bus, I repeatedly reminded J that he has to take care of M and have to comfort him if he is afraid. J was more than ready to take on the brotherly role.

While at the waiting area, I was reminded that just 7 months ago, J started in the new school and we were sitting in the exact same position while waiting for the bus. But today, he seems so much more mature with his added responsibility as a big brother.

When the school bus came, the boys waved good bye and went off. They didnt know that K and I actually trail them from behind.

As we had speed ahead, we arrived earlier than the school bus and saw J holding onto M tightly and whispering instructions into his ears after alighting from the bus. He also helped M to deposit the school bag on the bench before attending assembly in the hall.

K and I watched all these activities from afar and J caught sight of us and gave us a big smile and a nod. I was bursting with pride.

After assembly, they adjourn to their respective classes and we saw a bored M fidgetting in class. So far, so good as there was no separation anxiety displayed by him. (I think I was more anxious than him :))

It is a normal schedule for J but a 1-hr class for M so that it is a smoother integration. We waited outside M's class and watched anxiously for the teacher to round up the lesson for the day.

After the "Goodbye" song, the teacher let the children out of the class and M walked steadily towards us and we went home together. As for J, I have no doubt he will enjoy the rest of his day in school.
Postscribe on 10 Jan: Told M that he has to attend school and he said with a frown "I go to school that day already what. Why I have to go again?"

No comments: