Saturday, June 7, 2008

Home-cooked food

I nearly cried when I ate dinner tonight. My mum cooked all of my favourite dishes. Every dish tasted heavenly.

When I was expecting M, I was sensitive to the smell of cooking oil thus mum did not cook dinner when I visited her every weekend. It was towards the last 2 wks that I managed to taste some of her cooking. After delivery, I was on confinement food for a whole month. The month after that, I was down sick and thus missed the opportunity to visit her. Thus the reason why I had not tasted her cooking for so long.

When I was younger, it was Grandma who did the cooking. I remembered that one Saturday when Mum cooked for us (G and Glad was living with us then) and it was such a big deal. She cooked western food and made mash potatoes. This was in the period where such dishes was a luxury. That moment etched forever in my mind because I was so impressed by my mum's ability to make mash potatoes. Haha.
It was after Grandma passed on did Mum started cooking regularly. The reason why I love my mum's cooking is because it is simple. My mum like to cook food using its original flavour. In this way, you can taste the freshness of the ingredients.

Tofu in spicy meat sauce. - I only eat tofu with egg so this dish goes well with me. Mum has a few variations of how this dish can be cooked and spicy meat sauce is just one of it.





Stir-fry vegetables - My mum is very conscious about her health so she does not over-cook her vegetables so that as much nutrients are preserved. This is a simple dish of stir-fry vegetables.



Steam fish with preserved vegetables (kiam chye) - Living near the wet market means we have access to fresh fish daily. I don't know what fish this is but it is always soft and moist.







Claypot chicken wing with chinese mushroom - I love mushroom. She just add some sliced ginger, garlic cloves and dark soya sauce and simmer the chicken wings and mushrooms in a claypot. The meat is so tender that you can simply suck it off the bones.




Wanton soup - These wantons was given by a relative. Mum used ikan bilis to make the soup base and throw the wanton and vegetables in. The sweetness of the ikan bilis flavour the soup and yet it is light in taste. Even J drank a big bowl of it.




No comments: