Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

We celebrated Father's Day twice. First, we celebrated it at home on Sat with my FIL over a scrumptious dinner of chilli crab and curry fish head. S was home with her kids and again, J went ballistic playing with his cousins, D & E. He wouldn't even let them eat their dinner and insisted on playing through it. I think D & E had enough of him for a while.

Then on Sunday, we celebrated it with my Dad over dinner at Hotel Intercontinental. As K had to work that day, we started dinner late. During dinner, J insisted on eating on his own. As he did not take his nap that day, halfway through, he actually fell asleep and his face almost went into his bowl of noodles. Fortunately I caught his head in time and we all had a good laugh over it.

When we got home, J presented to K his Father's Day present. A picture of "Bob the Builder" which he self-colored; along with a cheeky poem which I search off the Net. It was signed off with J & M's thumbprint.
Many argued that Father's Day and Mother's Day are over-rated and commercialized. I feel otherwise. In our busy daily lives, at times we take our parents for granted. The efforts they put in raising their kids is far by more worthy than just 1 celebration a year. Do we need to dine out or buy fancy gifts? Well, if you can afford it, why not? If you can't, I think all parents will be contented with any gestures that shows appreciation.

For the parents, we can use festival like these remind ourselves of our roles. K, in our hectic lives, let's not forget to be good parents for our kids, ok? Here's a poem for you. Happy Father's Day.

Walk a little slower, Daddy,
Said a little child so small.
I'm following in your footsteps
And I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they are hard to see;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you.

No comments: