Saturday, April 5, 2008

He ain't heavy, he's my brother

The road is long, with many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where, who knows when
But I'm strong, strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
So on we go, his welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear, we'll get there
For I know, he would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
If I'm laden at all, I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart, isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another, it's a long, long road
From which there is no return, while we're on the way to there
Why not share, and the load doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
He's my brother
He ain't heavy, he's my brother...


I've heard this song many time but have never research to the background of this song.

During my pregnancy, J couldn't care less abt it. We educate him abt him having a baby brother and he has to love this little fella. However, there are time where he would smack my tummy and we even have to "force" him to stroke my tummy to incubate the love for his bb brother.

Now that M is 8 days old and has been home for the past 5 days, J has been taking it well.

When he first visited me in the hospital and saw the bb for the 1st time, there was some apprehension but he did request to be carried so that he can get a better view of "didi". We also gave him a set of books as a gift from his bb bro. He was very excited to have received the gift.

When we went home with the bb from the hospital, J surprised us with a gift for Matt. It was 2 pairs of booties and mittens. That gesture really warm my heart.

Ever since that day, when J wakes up every morning, he would look for his brother and if he can't be found (brought out for sunbathing to clear the jaundice), J would express sadness by throwing a slight tantrum. Last night, before M goes to sleep, J and I said a prayer together for M.

Initially when I was breastfeeding M, J would get jealous. But now, he understand that it is ok to share Mummy (and her milk). When he see me with my bottles of expressed milk, he knows that those are milk for his bb brother.

Being an only child, I find it hard to comprehend what is it like to have a sibling. I can only pray that I can best educate my 2 boys to love and uphold each other for the rest of their life. I believe K and his bro can be good role models for the younger boys.

And indeed, J can say to 3.97kg M that "he ain't heavy, he's my brother". :-)

2 comments:

YUMYUM said...

Reading this post brings memory back when my mom gives birth to my bro. Is so nice to have siblings with you along the way, reading hoping I can give Isaac a sibling when the time is good for me :)

YUMYUM said...

Reading this post brings memory back when my mom gives birth to my bro. Is so nice to have siblings with you along the way, reading hoping I can give Isaac a sibling when the time is good for me :)