Monday, October 6, 2008

I took his hand and followed

My dishes went unwashed today,
I didn't make the bed,
I took his hand and followed
Where his eager footsteps led.


Oh yes, we went adventuring,
My little son and I...
Exploring all the great outdoors
Beneath the summer sky

We waded in a crystal stream,
We wandered through a wood...
My kitchen wasn't swept today
But life was gay and good.

We found a cool, sun-dappled glade
And now my small son knows
How Mother Bunny hides her nest,
Where jack-in-the-pulpit grows.

We watched a robin feed her young,
We climbed a sunlit hill...
Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky,
We plucked a daffodil.

That my house was neglected,
That I didn't brush the stairs,
In twenty years, no one on earth
Will know, or even care.

But that I've helped my little boy
To noble manhood grow,
In twenty years, the whole wide world
May look and see and know.

There is no crystal stream or sun-dappled glade in our neighborhood. However, we do have a sun-lit hill and woods aplenty. Also, the public pool is also just 5 minutes away. That is where J's little hand took me today.

Somehow, on every Monday morning, J would seem more resistant towards me having to work. When I walked into my SOHO to start up my notebook, he would drag me out and say “I don’t want Mummy to work” Whenever he says that, I do wish that I don’t have to work and can spend my days playing with him and teaching him basic life skills as well as academically.

On impromptu, I decide to take the boys for a quick swim after lunch. It will be M’s 1st dip into the pool. However, the weather looks threatening. On the way, we passed by a small pathway and mimosa pudica fills the side. I have always been intrigued by this plant as it will close its leaves when touched. I pointed out this plant to J and encourage him to touch it.

When we reach the pool, we jump into it quickly as the dark clouds are coming in. I carried M and dip his toes into the water and submerge him slowly as the water is cold. Soon he is frolicking in the water but I did not let him stay for long as it has gotten quite windy. I send my maid and him off home while J and I stayed for a while more.
When we reached home, it started pouring. I wish we could have stayed a while longer as it is afterall M’s 1st swim. I promise to return on a sunny day.

No comments: