Saturday, January 23, 2010

Learning to let go

Today, J announced that he won't be going with me to my mum's place. Instead, he is going out with his 大伯.

Since his birth, J and I are inseparable except for the times when I am on overseas or when other members of the family takes him out but those times doesn't last for more than a few hours. He has never spent a whole day without me.

A part of me (just a small part) felt reluctant to let him go even though I welcome the break and opportunity to spend the day with M. I teased J that he is a big boy now and doesn't need me anymore. His reply was "I still love you Mum but I want to go out with 大伯." At that moment, I knew my baby is growing up and on his way to independency. In future, he may choose his friends over me, or his girlfriend(s) or his studies or his hobbies. One day, he will be someone else's boyfriend or husband or a little child's father.

As he learns to deal with independency, I am learning to let go. To let him have more of his personal space and preferences; to let him grow up.

One day, J will outgrow my lap but he will never outgrown my heart. At the meantime, I still have my other baby, M who say "Mummy, don't go" in his dreams. Ahhh....how sweet are the sound of those 3 words.

No comments: